WHAT IS IT?
OnTrack is a project which follows up school leavers within six months of them leaving school to find out whether they are engaged in further education, training or employment, and to offer support and assistance to reach their education and/or employment goals.
Funded by the Victorian Department of Education and Training (DET), the survey provides information on the pathways that young people take on leaving school. Since the first large-scale survey in 2003, over 450,000 school leavers have participated in the On Track surveys.
School leavers from all school sectors and education providers across Victoria are invited to participate in the survey, with consent to participate usually obtained as part of the Year 12 enrolment process.
On Track data collection is conducted mid year by the Social Research Centre.
WHY WE ARE DOING IT?
The data from On Track provides a comprehensive picture of the paths young people take on leaving secondary school. This information supports the Victorian Government in improving school, career, local job and training services. It also helps to ensure that access to guidance and skills are available for young people to get onto a desired education or employment pathway.
The On Track survey seeks to:
- Offer a consistent and comprehensive approach to monitoring the transitions of school leavers.
- Report the information to schools, parents and students, policymakers, Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions, and organisations that provide assistance to young people.
- Provide detailed analysis of the transitions experienced by different groups of leavers.
- Enable education providers to use the findings to monitor and improve their programs.
- Provide a referral service for school leavers who appear to be experiencing difficulties in the transition process.
On Track summary reports:
- On Track 2018: Destinations of Victorian school leavers snapshot (pdf – 650.39kb)
- On Track 2017: Destinations of Victorian school leavers snapshot (pdf – 823.01kb)
- On Track 2016: Destinations of Victorian school leavers snapshot (pdf – 948.35kb)
Local Government Area reports:
Year 12 destination data reports:
- On Track 2018 – post school destinations of year 12 completers in 2017, Victorian schools (No VTAC information) (xlsx – 1.36mb)
- On Track 2017 – post school destinations of year 12 completers in 2016, Victorian schools (No VTAC information) (xlsx – 61.63kb)
- On Track 2016 – post-school destinations of year 12 completers in 2015, Victorian schools (No VTAC information) (xlsx – 1.4mb)
To find more information on services and education and employment pathways get in contact with Tim Bulaon 0481 137 196 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.