The Youth Friendly Employer project aims to develop and pilot a process and assessment tool that inspires employers to become recognised for providing a positive experience for young people who are job-seeking, and a supportive environment for those working with them.
The Youth Friendly Employer Project is a joint initiative of Maribyrnong and Moonee Valley Local Learning and Employment Network (MMVLLEN) with funding by VicHealth under the the Bright Futures for Young Victorians initiative. This initiative supports organisations working with young people to establish new partnerships, and find solutions to promote community and young people’s resilience, social connection, and mental wellbeing.
There was an initial four-month pilot project in January to May 2017 which developed a proof of concept, as outlined in the report. This was developed through a co-design project with young people and local employers.
The youth friendly employer project has secured a second round of funding from VicHealth to test and trial the proof of concept from April to November 2019. The second phase will once again consult with young people on the development of a toolkit for employers to implement and improve the youth employment opportunities in their business. This toolkit will then be tested and trialed with two major employers including one local government and one large employer over a 4 month period. Feedback from these trial sites will inform the refinement of the toolkit which can then be distributed to a broader group of employers. Employers will then be recognised, when meeting the appropriate standard, as a youth friendly employer.
Key steps in the project are:
- Consult and co-design a new young employer self-assessment questionnaire
- Create a new toolkit of human resource information to inform up to date practice in engaging and supporting young employees
- Identify the standards of a youth friendly employer
- Trial the toolkit with two employers, creating an action plan and review
- Evaluate toolkit and resources to inform future practice
- Develop implementation guide for future employers and identify new employers to undertake youth friendly employer program
- Finalise recognition and publicity of youth friendly employers