The Youth Internships Initiative (YII) is dedicated to creating and providing opportunities for young members of the local community. Allowing young people to gain real on-the-job experience and the ability to develop new transferrable skills that are suitable for many positions available in today’s job market, increasing their chances at gaining paid employment.
The YII brokers relationships between young people, who are considered to be marginalised, and employers within the local community. It creates benefits for both parties bridging the gap and providing opportunities, professional networks, new skills and hands on experience to help young members of the community with their future careers and potential paid job opportunities.
Internships are one to two days per week, for 10 weeks. Interns will also be covered for travel and lunch expenses ($20 per day) while taking part on a voluntary basis in the internship placement. Young people are matched with a mentor from a professional background as part of the internship, to offer guidance and support for the young person for up to nine months. This offers a much more supportive experience and assists in navigating challenges of the internship and gaining paid employment.
The YII has been created to help marginalised youth gain access to skills and experience that would be otherwise unavailable. For this to be accomplished, we need two key players:
- Young members of the local community, willing to learn!
- Employers in the community who are willing to teach!
How do you join the YII? Easy!
All we require from a young person is:
- To be between the ages of 16-24
- To have some connection to the Moonee Valley or Maribyrnong area (Friends, family, previous school, sport clubs etc. in the area)
- To be currently unemployed
- To be willing to volunteer their time for 1-2 days per week over 10 weeks
Read success stories from previous interns
Find out where previous interns have been placed (hyperlink)
For employers, all we need is for you to commit to:
- Having a young person for one to two days per week for 10 weeks
- Ensure a member of staff is able to supervise an intern while providing a relevant learning experience
What’s in it for you?
For all enquiries, contact the Youth Internships Intitiative Coordinator, Laura Buerckner on (03) 9376 7251. To apply for an internship, fill in an expression of interest form and send this along with your resume to email@example.com.
For further information:
The Youth Internship Initiative is supported by the Victorian Government.